Tuesday, November 27, 2012

3D Pumpkin Math

So, after all the left overs I feel more stuffed than anything! I had a great time having my family here, but I'm a little bit sad it did not last longer :( I hope you had a great time with your family as well!

Back to reality now, and as I promised here I have the resources I used to create a 3D pumpkin using word problems that included multiplication and division. Even though Thanksgiving is gone, you can still do this for the rest of November...

I printed the problems separate from the orange construction paper and pre-cut everything because I know that if I have the kids do it, it would take them longer... and I was aiming more to check for their understanding of when to multiply and/or divide to solve problems, but doing something cute at the same time. Anyway, to make it easier for you I created a file with the pattern and the word problems included, so you can only print or make copies in construction paper, then cut.

So, I handed out the patterns and the problems already cut, and encouraged students to follow the strategies we use for word problems: Read a sentence, Stop at the period, and Think what important information was in the sentence. The students found the answer for each problem as a team, and wrote down the appropriate operation, and the answer in a sentence on the right side of the pumpkin pattern.

Whenever the problems were solved, they glued the pumpkins back to back. When the pumpkin books were done, I used hot glue to put the pipe cleaner inside and ta-da! 3D pumpkins ready :)




In my TpT store you can find the instructions to make the 3D pumpkins, the patterns with the problems included in English and Spanish, and the answer key! http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Donaji-Salinas Hurry and get it! I will keep the discount price all this week :)

Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment